Thursday 7 June 2012

Peppa Pig Birthday Cake

My next door neighbours youngest turned 2 the other day and asked me to make a birthday cake, I had the choice of Peppa Pig and Postman Pat (I think that was the second option) anyway I went with Peppa Pig.

My first idea was to carve the cake into a Peppa Pig shape but after looking through lots of pictures on the Internet I found a backpack with Peppa Pig at the fairground holding a panda she had just won so I had to do that, anything with pandas and I'm happy. 

The cake was chocolate sponge (the same recipe I used for the wedding cake) and then I filled and dirty iced it with chocolate butter cream. The cake is covered in leaf green fondant and bright blue fondant that I toned down by adding some white fondant as it was a bit garish. 

Peppa Pig was a free hand cut out of light pink fondant and the dress in cerise coloured fondant. It took a couple of attempts to get the head right I think it was because after I added the teeth it looked a little weird so I tried to make the teeth smaller. Outlining the face made a big difference to the finished look.

I used a patchwork cutter for the panda, I've been desperate to use the cutter as I got it last year for my birthday as part of the Teddy Bears Picnic Set, so that was straight forward. The fair ground hut, clouds and balloons are also free hand and the flowers are small blossom flowers. 



No comments:

Post a Comment